Demantoid Garnet is the star of the Andradite garnet family and comes in many hues of green, from pale peridot-like yellow-green to intense, deep green emerald-like hues. Like all the other garnets, demantoid is a silicate and gets its green color from chromium. It is the most brilliant, rare and expensive of all the garnets. The darker the green and clearer the stone, the more expensive it is.
Garnet is the birthstone for January, the 2nd and 6th anniversary gemstone, and the zodiac birthstone for Capricorn and Aquarius.
Demantoid garnets, one of Karl Fabergé’s favorite gemstones, was first discovered in Russia the mid 1800s. Russia was the only source until the mid 1990s, when it was also found in Namibia. Since then, demantoid has been discovered in Afghanistan, China, Italy, Korea, Madagascar, Zaire and the US.
Demantoid Garnet vs. Tsavorite
So how does demantoid compare to “the other green garnet” tsavorite? Well, their chemical composition is different, and they belong to different parts of the garnet family. Demantoid is a member of the Andradite family and tsavorite is a grossular garnet. Color-wise, demantoid garnets usually have a bit of a yellowish tint, whereas tsavorites tend to be more intensely deep green, sometimes with a bluish tint, and emerald-like.
The various garnet families are described in a lot more detail in this “main” post on garnets: January Birthstone Charms And Pendants – Garnet.
Demantoid Garnet Healing Properties
Demantoid garnets are associated with the heart chakra and are believed to strengthen relationships. They are also thought to help with liver problems, arthritis and varicose veins, boost vitality, and alleviate fear, insecurity and feelings of loneliness. Garnets have long been used as talismans for protecting travelers and were thought to help against evil spirits.
And now, on to our handpicked selection of favorite finds of
Demantoid Garnet Jewelry
1. Early 1900’s rose gold lavalier pendant set with demantoid garnets. Antique green garnet lavalier pendant from MS Jewelers.
2. Fine silver gold plated pendant with natural raw Madagascar demantoid embedded in the rock. Raw demantoid pendant by Gablio.
3. Antique hallmarked Russian Art Nouveau rose gold pendant set with demantoid garnets. Demantoid Art Nouveau garnet pendant from Romanov Russia.
4. Vintage 14k gold Foo dog necklace set with a demantoid garnet. Chinese Foo Dog Necklace from MS Jewelers.
5. Sterling silver pendant set with a white diamond and demantoid garnet by Sumer Thyme.
6. Antique gold charm bracelet set with seed pearl, amethyst, peridot, opal, sapphire, ruby, demantoid garnet, diamond, pearl, and tourmaline. 14k carat gold harlequin charm bracelet from Magpie Antique.
7. Silver and gold filled frog pendant set with demantoid garnets, tourmalines, sapphires, zircon and peridot. The Frog Prince by the Wire Dreamers Gallery.
8.14kt white gold necklace set with demantoid and mint garnets. Eternity birthstone necklace by Yvonne Raley of Cecile Raley Designs.