Pretty, powder pink rose quartz is THE gemstone when it comes to love, so I thought this would be a good time to feature it, with Valentine’s Day around the corner.
Rose quartz is (obviously) part of the quartz family (which also includes, among others, amethyst, opal, and citrine) and comes in colors ranging from very pale, translucent pink to dark rose. Some have rutile needles which gives the stone an asterism effect, and you can find transparent stones as well, but they are much more rare, and so pale in color that you can hardly tell they’re pink.
It is the State Mineral of South Dakota (where it is also mined), the alternate birthstone for January, and the alternate 2nd anniversary stone.
It is believed to attract and retain love, and opens the wearer’s ability to give and receive love by opening the heart chakra. It is also thought to promote healthy, peaceful relationships, help heal emotional wounds and clear negative emotions (such as possessiveness, jealousy, and anger). It helps you forgive, trust and believe in yourself, and promotes calmness, love and peace.
According to Crystal Energy Therapist Karen Ryan, when an expectant Mother wears rose quartz as a necklace or pendant, the baby receives loving, soothing and calming energy.
It is also said to help with hormonal fluctuations and physical pain, both in humans and animals, and rumor has it that washing your face in water that has had a rose quartz in it will get rid of wrinkles and keep your skin young!
Mined mainly in Madagascar, Scotland, Brazil, Spain and the US, it is an abundant stone, and you can find many very affordable rose quartz jewelry pieces. Here are some of our recent favorite finds (links below the images):
1. Sterling silver and rose quartz bracelet “Moonlight Blossom” (designed in 1904!) by Georg Jensen
2. 14k gold and rose quartz scarab good luck charm from Charmco
3. Sterling silver and rose quartz pendant on a curb chain with little silver beads by Tomomi Hamano
4. Sterling silver and faceted rose quartz charm bead designed by Lise Aagaard for Trollbeads
5. Leather wrap bracelet with rose quartz and silver plated beads by Ropes of Pearls
6. Handmade argentium silver pendant with a Brazilian rose quartz set in a 14k gold filled bezel by metalsmith Vicki Pellegrini of Alegra Jewelry
7. Brown leather necklace with 2 pendants: a sterling silver and pink opal and a rose quartz set in brass. From Sundance
8. Sterling silver necklace with a silver-dipped raw rose quartz cluster pendant by Maykela of lavenders
9. Sterling silver “Sweetie” bracelet with four rose quartz heart charms from Links of London USA
10. Faceted rose quartz “Sweet Drop” charm with a 0,015ct diamond and 18k white gold attachment by Ole Lynggaard Copenhagen
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, we’ll receive a small commission. Not enough to drape ourselves in diamonds, sadly, but it does help this blog stay alive. 🙂 Thank you for your support!